If you’re like me, you dig any recipe that has cheese in it – especially goat cheese! I use goat cheese in almost everything including toast, bagels, wraps, and salads. This recipe is what I call my version of the Moxie’s Mosaic Dip – which I instantly fell in love with at first bite! Unfortunately, this amazingly popular dip has been discontinued for some time now and you know I had to find my fix – hence the creation of this recipe! It is the perfect blend of ingredients that when combined, taste absolutely divine. Take your super bowl party or dinner party to the next level, by serving up this super easy – and super cheesy – appetizer.
The reason I call this my version of the Moxie’s Mosaic Dip is because I add an extra layer of spinach – yes it’s one of the secret ingredients to making this even awesome-er (is that a word?). If you want to make the original recipe, simply omit the spinach layer and mozzarella cheese. If you’re feeling a more chunkier dip, make sure to chop the ingredients roughly instead of finely. For an even smoother texture, blend each layer separately in a blender – I used my magic bullet – then add it to the baking dish in steps. If you’re in a rush but still want to try this delicious dip, blend all the ingredients in a blender except goat cheese, then place in the dish and crumble the goat cheese on top. I love using herbed goat cheese for a more enhanced flavour, but the original Moxie’s version had plain goat cheese in it.
My favourite way to serve this dip is the same way Moxie’s used to do it. Add a little butter or ghee to naan bread and heat it up in a pan, then cut into mini triangular (pizza) slices. Other alternatives include pita bread or tortilla chips. You could even dip vegetables in it like baked zucchini sticks or celery sticks.
The possibilities are endless with dips, and this dip is no exception! Just by tweaking the ingredients in the layers – like adding spinach (or kale), to using different types of mushrooms/onions/cheese, you can change the flavours to your liking and still experience the cheesy goodness. I haven’t yet tried using vegan cheese for this dip, but I’m sure it would taste great.
Try the recipe below and be sure to give my TikTok a follow or like! If you have any questions, leave a comment. Let me know how you like the recipe if you try it – especially if you come up with other amazing variations (please share!).
Moxie’s Mosaic Dip (Copycat Recipe) – Goat Cheese and Mushroom Queso
- 1 baking dish
- 1 pan for sautéing
- 1 tomato, finely chopped or half a container cherry tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped or groun
- ¼ cup sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ cups mushrooms, finely chopped for better flavour, try a mix of cremini and button mushrooms
- 2 tbsp cream cheese if you add the spinach layer, add 1 more tbsp to this recipe
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ cup goat cheese
- ¼ cup mozzarella cheese optional, but tastes better
- ¼ cup baby spinach, finely chopped optional layer
- Lightly sauté the onion, tomatoes, garlic, andsalt in a pan with a little olive oil, then layer it into the bottom of a bakingdish.
- In the same pan with olive oil, now add the mushrooms and soy sauce and sauté for about 1 minute. Turn off the heat, add cream cheese, mix, and layer this on top of the tomato mixture in the baking dish.
- *Optional layer: sauté baby spinach in the pan and mix with 1 tablespoon cream cheese and add this on top of the mushroom layer.
- For the final layer, we top everything with goat cheese (crumbled) and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in preheated 350-degree F oven for about 15 minutes. Remove and serve with warm naan bread or pita, or tortilla chips.